OnBackground

An online journal of politics, policy, and society with a special focus on Maryland -- Contact: on_background at yahoo.com.

Friday, October 24, 2003

Reading all day

The Economist has a good piece on how to kick the oil habit and why we should do it Setting : http://www.economist.com/opinion/displayStory.cfm?story_id=2155717

I found the following from the Center for American Progress to be disturbing: "The 2003 Pew Global Attitudes Projects found that fewer than one-quarter of respondents in Indonesia, Turkey, Pakistan, and Jordan said they support the war on terrorism. " I'm not shocked, just nervous.

You know, I read at least three newspapers most days and try to read several news magazines and online sources, but sometimes I feel like I'm just repeating the same stuff over and over. When I was out of the country a decade ago (before the widespread availability and convenience of the internet) I couldn't read an American paper or even an English language paper more than about once per week. Although I did miss being in the loop a bit, I found that I had a lot of time for other things and that when I got back into the news I really had not missed that much. Do you know what I mean?